West Greenland Trio
West Greenland Trio
Day 1 Welcome to Greenland
We will greet you at Kangerlussuaq airport and escort you to your accommodation nearby. Depending on your arrival time this afternoon is a chance to explore Kangerlussuaq and the surrounding area.
Day 2 Kangerlussuaq
Optional activities from Kangerlussuaq :
- Excursion as close as possible to the ice cap.
In a 4x4 vehicle, you drive through mountain landscapes, valleys and semi-desert plains to reach the Greenland Ice Cap (Inland). On your way, you may have the opportunity to observe muskox, ptarmigan or Arctic hare. Then, on foot, you will spend time exploring this world of ice. Duration: 5 hours. Price: 85 €/ person.
To enjoy the ice pack and crampons at your feet for longer, opt for the 8-hour excursion. Price: 140€ / person.
- Russel Glacier
By vehicle, you reach the glacier front of the "Glacier Russel", a huge 60m high ice wall. It is not uncommon this season to witness ice calving that is as impressive as it is noisy. The surrounding landscapes are spectacular. On your way, you may have the opportunity to observe muskox, ptarmigan or Arctic hare.
Duration: 4 hours
Price: 90 € / person
Day 3 Kangerlussuaq / Sisimiut
You take a flight (30min) to Greenland's second-largest city. Arrival in Sisimiut and installation in your accommodation. In the afternoon we recommend a visit to the museum near the port, which is full of details about the ancient Saqqaq culture (almost 4000 years ago).
Optional Activities: Midnight sun Boat Trip among icebergs (€102 )
Accommodation: Mini apartment or hotel
Day 4 Sisimiut
From Sisimiut beautiful hikes are possible. They will allow you to take a little height and have a view of the city and its colourful houses.
Day 5 Boarding the Arctic Umiaq Line (Saturday)
You can enjoy the atmosphere of Sisimiut, its port, its small shops and its covered market. At 9pm, you board the Greenlandic coastal express: Arctic Umiaq Line.
Day 6 Ilulissat
Arrival in the early afternoon in Ilulissat, the city of icebergs.
At the end of the day, optional: 2h30 sailing in the middle of icebergs at midnight sunshine time. Price 90 €/pers.
Day 7 Ilulissat / Oqaatsut / Ilulissat
Departure in the morning by boat to Oqaatsut, located 15km north of Ilulissat, on a peninsula facing the island of Disko. It takes about 30 minutes to sail.
Oqaatsut means "cormorant" in Greenlandic. This village was renamed Rodebay in the 18th century by Danish whalers, probably because of the colour of the water after hunting.
Day to freely enjoy the surroundings and eat at the village restaurant (traditional cuisine) where we will be pleased to serve you.we suggest an optional activity (to be booked in advance):
-A day trip around Oqaatsut to enjoy the scenery: lakes, tundra, mountains, ice and small Inuit huts.
Price: 95€/person. Possible on Thursdays and Mondays. Minimum 2 participants.
Return boat to Ilulissat at the end of the day and overnight in Ilulissat.
Day 8 Ilulissat / Glacier Eqi / Ilulissat
Crossing by boat towards the Eqi glacier. Another opportunity to get as close as possible to many icebergs. Departure around 9am for about 2 to 5 hours of navigation to the Eqi glacier. We approach the ice front, the engines are off to "hear" the glacier roar and see the ice blocks fall into the water. You will also see the cabin of polar explorer Paul Emile Victor (1907-1995), a base camp for French polar expeditions.
Return to Ilulissat and overnight in Ilulissat.
Day 9 Ilulissat
Free day in Ilulissat to hike freely or join a guide.
- Hiking along the UNESCO classified Icefjord: A hike to the famous Kangia Ice Fjord. Walking through the Sermermiut Valley, you will gradually discover this spectacular fjord, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Gigantic ice cathedrals remain blocked in the fjord, frozen by the ice pack, offering a breathtaking panorama. Price: 60€. Duration: 4-5 hours.
- Helicopter flight over the glacier that calves the most ice in the northern hemisphere: 470€/person.
- Whale watching outing. Price 160€. Duration: 3 hours.
-Exit to Pakitsoq, search for whales and hike to the heights to observe the glacier tongues and the Ice Sheet. Price: 290€/pers. Possible on Sundays. Minimum 2 participants.
Day 10 Farewell Greenland
Transfer to airport
Other trips you may like
Period & budget
When to travel?
The best period for travelling is during the following months:
The budget is an indication of the price per person, subject to availability. Your local agent will send you a customized quote with the exact price. The price can vary according to availability, level of services, period of travel, number of participants, booking time frame and other items.
- 2 nights in an inn in Kangerlussuaq, double room, shared sanitary facilities, breakfast
- 2 nights in hotel in Sisimiut, standard double room, breakfast
- Sailing aboard the Sarfak Ittuk in a berth (1 night)
- 4 nights in Ilulissat in a single comfort inn, double room, shared sanitary facilities, breakfast
- Boat trip to the Eqi Glacier (lunch on board included)
- Airport/accommodation transfers to Kangerlussuaq and Sisimiut
- Ship transfers Ilulissat/Oqaatsut/Ilulissat
- A travel notebook
- 24/7 telephone support available
- Russel Glacier: from €105 / person
- Kangerlussuaq Tundra and wildlife tour: from €50
- Sea-kayaking Oqaatsut: from €400
- Ilulissat Museum: from €8
- Greenlandic meal in traditional restaurant: from €30
- Guided tour of Ilulissat city: from €44
- Guided hiking in the Semermiut Valley: from €44
- Helicopter flight over the glacier hich covers most of the northern hemisphere in ice: from €493
- A Greenlandic fishing excursion: from €274
- Whale-watching outing, picnic included: from €158
- A three hour evening kayaking excursion: from €210
- International flights
- Registration free: €18 per person
- optional excursions
- Comfort option (4 nights in a hotel in Ilulissat rather than the rustic inn, airport transfers included): +250€
- Supplement for overnight stay in a cabin for 2 or 4 people on the coastal boat
- The meals Personal expenses
- The drinks
- Airport transfers to Copenhagen and Ilulissat
- The actual additional accommodation costs in the event of flight modifications or due to bad weather
Terms and conditions
- Buffet breakfast buffet 70DKKK
- Buffet Lunch 70DKKK
- Dinner (hot dish) 90DKKK
- 2-course dinner 130DKKK
- Snacks: Shrimp, salmon or halibut sandwich 42DKK
- Cheese Sandwich 25DKKK
- Hot dog 55DKKK
- Salad 35DKKK
- Coffee or tea 14DKKK
- Beer 42DKKK
- Wine Glass 35DKKK
Budget & exchange
- Walking sticks (optional)
- A sleeping bag (comfort 5°C / 15°C)
- High protection sunglasses
- A small toilet bag (ideally biodegradable / natural products)
- A personal pharmacy (elastoplast, aspirin, bandages...)
- Moisturizing sunscreen (face and lips)- Toilet paper + lighter
- A knife
- An unbreakable thermos flask
- No cotton
- Bring dry spares of everything, even underwear and gloves
- Wear multiple layers including:
- A warm breathable base layer
- A second thermal layer
- Wind and waterproof protective out layer (we provide an additional quality jacket and over trousers)
Health information & recommendations
- Be prepared
- Stick to trails and camp overnight right
- Stash your trash and pick up waste
- Leave it as you find it
- Be careful with fire
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors